Saturday, July 16, 2011

6 Sentence Sunday #2: Isabelle arrives at the Nashe estate


I want to thank everyone who commented last week on my first 6 Sentence Sunday post. The "Sixers" are a very welcoming group. If you have not already done so, please check out the wide variety of talented writers at the 6 Sentence Sunday site.
I decided to lift excerpts from my book following the story's chronological timeline and will number them as they are posted. That way anyone who likes to start at the beginning can easily go back to the first one and follow them in order.
Set-up for this week's 6 (actually 5, but they're long sentences):  After accepting the job as Jonathan Nashe's secretary, Isabelle Tate leaves home for the first time to assume her new duties. She finds the household staff waiting for her when her carriage arrives. The following takes place immediately after they have introduced themselves to Isabelle.
 
A Bed of Thorns and Roses #2

As if by some prearranged signal, the other servants moved toward the house. Isabelle started to follow them, then paused, momentarily overwhelmed by the sense that her life would never be the same once she crossed the threshold.
With a sigh, she continued, only to stop again after a few steps. A tickle of awareness rippled down the back of her neck and was gone, as if someone had lightly run a finger from her nape to her shoulder. Without reasoning why, she looked up toward a second‑story window in time to see a panel of heavy drapery fall gently back against its mate.

Next week:  Jonathan's reaction after observing Isabelle's arrival

21 comments:

  1. Another great six (okay, 5, lol) I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice six, ick; I hate that feeling that 'someone has walked over your grave' -- nicely described :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, this is great! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh fantastic snippet, I love the hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great six! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh - intense!! Seriously though, I wouldn't have minded the missing sixth :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Very intriguing!! Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, intriguing to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very powrful and enticing, I'll be bac next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intriguing...the question is who is watching from the window.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creepy and intriguing! Can't wait to read more next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, did she get that feeling from someone watching her? That's a really strong gaze.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't stop, I want more. Will be coming back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Intriguing- must be Jonathan behind those curtains, but I'm wondering what he's thinking about her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, nice suspense and connection there. I like it! :)

    ~Xakara
    Dawn's Early Light 6SS

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope she doesn't regret walking across the threshold.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice. I would keep reading just to find out if she regretted going over that threshold.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great six. I read this last week and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it. It kept me up until about 3 in the morning one night : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooo, very, very creepy, especially those last couple of lines.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "A tickle of awareness..." great image!

    ReplyDelete