Saturday, September 17, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday: The King's Witch


It’s good to be back after missing last week’s Six Sentence Sunday. For this week, I’ve decided to take a break from A Bed of Thorns and Roses to introduce you to my current work in progress. The King’s Witch is a novella-length prequel to my soon to be released fantasy series, The World of Pangaea. The series is first of all a romance, set in an alternate pre-history, one where the continents never drifted apart. There are many different cultures, and many kingdoms, as in our own world. These are simply separated by land instead of oceans. The time frame is indeterminate, though definitely pre-industrial. People are closer to the land and closer to the spirit world of demons and magic.

King Armander, who is the hero of Book I in the series, has made it his first task on taking the throne to rid his kingdom of the practitioners of the dark arts encouraged under his father’s demonic reign. In this week’s six, his counselor has just announced that the woman who stands trial before him was one of the old king’s consorts, and a favorite.

The King’s Witch: Excerpt #1

One of his favorites. Armander knew what that meant. Nekros killed the merely pretty consorts once he tired of them. No matter how beautiful, a woman could only remain in his favor if she possessed dark gifts. Over the years, the demon hordes the mad king called forth grew increasingly difficult to command. Nekros had either feared this woman or he had found her useful for augmenting his own power.

*     *     *

Thank you all who take the time to comment. This new series is a complete departure from my historical romance, though I suppose there is a fairy tale element to it. Book I is titled The Beast. I can’t seem to get away from the Beauty and the Beast theme, no matter what subgenre I’m in. <grins, somewhat abashed> This time, however, the tale takes a much darker and more erotic turn.

We have a wonderful independent bookstore here, The Morris Book Shop. They have three words on their shopping bags: Eat. Sleep. Read. That is my idea of a good time, though I would have to add one more word to that:  Write.

And now here’s the link back to the Six Sentence Sunday site and the many many talented writers there. Enjoy.

Have a good week everyone,
Sondra

20 comments:

  1. Wow... very intriguing! I like the premise of his series! Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written six. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I wonder which it is...fear or usefulness? Great six!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a master at plotting, no matter what you write. Great story you have going here. BTW, I loved A Bed of Thorns and Roses. So poignant, wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intrigued by this. And wondering if the title refers to Armanda or Nekros. Can't wait to see how it plays out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cara. I hope you'll like The Beast. Armander is not nearly as likable as Jonathan, and that is my big challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting, well written and, me being Greek, I love the name you chose for the brother (Nekros, dead. nice touch!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chrystalla, I need a name for the witch and her brother. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your six - it was chilling and totally powerful at the same time. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like he's got dangerous tastes in women!

    An by the way, I recently read A Bed of Thorns and Roses and I loved, loved LOVED it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to hear that you're working on a fantasy series. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait for this series. I got an early taste for it, and now I want more. Sounds like we're in for some intrigue. Nice six!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting six!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dark character we're hearing about. Very ominous and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, glad to see you're working on this, Sondra! I'm sure you'll make Armander a sympathetic character, even if he's not likeable in the same way as Jonathan. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Powerful six with lots of questions left hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh... fascinating... a little like A Thousand and One Nights :)

    ...Please continue next week ;)

    ...thought I don't think you need the word 'merely' in your third sentence :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting Six! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete